Yesterday was a glorious and exhausting day.
We started by waking up around 6 AM so everyone could get ready before our 6:30 light breakfast. Breakfast consisted of a cheese sandwich, fresh orange juice, and coffee. The team pilled into vans at 7 AM to start our “Ecuadorian Experience” Day. We proceeded to drive for about 1 hr and a half along the winding shoreline through various towns to Puerto Lopez.
Once we there, we finally got our helado. I was beginning to think there was an ice cream shortage. And yes we did have ice cream at 8:30 in the morning. We spent some time in the couple of shops outside the boat touring company. We would soon find out that it was more than necessary to use the bano here as the one on the boat was tight for a 9 year old to fit in.
The boat ride to the Isle de la Plata national park was not as bumpy as expected. We prayed for physical well being and it was granted since no one experienced sea sickness. One of the great natural treasures the previous group talked of was the sighting of large whales. About 45 minutes into the ride I spotted 2 whales jumping out of the water in unison forming two perfect half moons. I would soon come to find out that this would be the only time they would leap so high as to see air under their large bodies. The captain stopped the boat and all we all waited in silence for the next viewing. Janai headed of the team on our boat as being the most excited about the whales. She will definitely be starting the first whale fan club completed with pictures and videos when she returns.
The view of the island coming in was magnificent. The earth had been carved in such a way that looked as if fingernails had been dragged across the face of each cliff. As we approached we could see and hear the tide of clear blue-green water breaking on the jagged rocks at the bottom of each cliff. Once we reached solid ground we sorted through all the shoes, since there were none allowed on the boat to minimize slipping, and proceeded to clean our feet. During the bathroom breaks Teresa guided her and Isabel into the men’s restroom as the signs were a bit confusing. We will never know their true motives.
Our guide instructed us that there were two routes to take: one being a little under 3 hours and the other being a bit over 3 hours. The decision in our group was left up to two of
We obtained a great deal of history about the island and of the migration pattern of the whales that visit every year. I will refer to the rest of our adventure as a hike since our entire group was stretched to their limit physically and mentally. Breaks were roughly every 25 minutes to either rest or view the unique Blue Footed Boobies and Red Footed Boobies. Our guide placed us in such close proximity that we could take pictures that rivaled National Geographic. We also witnessed how a mother nestled her egg beneath her protected it from harm.
Another bird whose name I can not recall had a large red pouch beneath its beak that would fill up with air in an effort to attract the female of the species. The hike sent us to the top of the island where breathtaking views of the ocean below were abundant. We would come to find out later that the use of the hats Teresa provided were a must as the other group experienced a great deal of sunburn. After hiking over 5 miles we ended with a dip in the ocean and did some snorkeling to see the wonders below. Joe took this time to leave his life token at the bottom of the ocean to rest for eternity. The group left the island ready for food and sleep. 2 hours later we arrived at 7:15pm back at La Cueva. After we devoured our meal we were quick to sleep.
On behalf of the team,
Shaun
P.S. Happy Birthday Mary!!! Love you sister! Hope all is well! ~Jenn
Hi Everyone!! I don't think having ice cream in the morning is a bad thing at all! In fact, if you ride with Paul in the morning up to the foundation he can easily be persuaded to stop for some :-) Sounds like a cool trip you guys went on....I would have loved to see the whales "completely out of the water" like that! I hope everyone is doing well, can't wait to see the pictures of all you acomplish. You are all such a blessing for giving your time and talents to the children, the foundation and the people of the Manta dump. I'll keep you all in prayer!
ReplyDeleteJust want to give a speacial shout out to Teresa, Jenn, Tonia, Isabelle, Pearl, Paul and Susan....HI!!!!!
Lesley
Hi Jennifer, I will make sure Mary gets her message. It is still sunny and in the 80"s. We will celebrate Mary's birthday on Sunday. She has a busy weekend. We hope you are taking lots of pictures. It sound like you are quite busy each day. Ryan got a good report from the neurologist. Miss you. We pray for the team to stay health, and a safe return soon. Take care. Love Mom & Dad Rich & Lizzie too!!
ReplyDeleteHi Tonia, You had quite a different day Thursday than we saw on your itinerary. I would of given anything to see the whales jump out of the water and then the island with all the beautiful different birds. Hope you took pictures of it all and wonder what the boat was like you road in.
ReplyDeleteGlad you all got to experience one of God's many wonders. It sounds like if you weren't in good physical condition before the hike up the mountain,you would be after the hike.
All is well here. We continue to pray for you all and hope you are able to communicate in Spanish more this year. Love Mom and Dad
Sounds like a beautiful, but exhausting day. Can't wait to see the pics. Lots of love and prayers. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteHi Miss Jenn,
ReplyDeleteWow your day with the children sounds like so much fun. I'm not so sure about the trantula your friend Paul found and then chased some of you around with it. Yuck! Aren't they poisonous? Have you seen any in your bedroom? Make sure you do not pack one up in your suitcase.
We are all praying for your continued efforts with your friends in Ecuador.
You guys are awesome!!! Love, Tamara
From mom: (in case you were wondering)
ReplyDeleteSteph and Col are coming to take me to get my shot! Be glad when it's over! I know..... its just a shot!
Can't wait for you and Joey to come home. I miss you!
Waiting for a new post, but looks like you guys are probably busy today.
ReplyDeleteSpent the day with your mother today. Lots of running around. Tried to talk her into Azteca, but she wouldn't budge. Go figure. We chose a nice, sit down restaurant, Country Chef. Wish you and J were there with us.
Be safe. Love you tons. xoxoxo
Hi Shaun I finally had some time to sit and read your blog. I am glad you are having an experience of a lifetime.I pray that you are well and I am sure you will have many stories to tell us when you return. Love your big sis , Rox
ReplyDeleteWow! what a remarkable group of people. You all are the type of people we need more of to make this world a better place. I only know one from the group personally, but i am praying for all of you. Make the most out of this lifechanging expierence. I wish all of you the best, and a safe return back to the states :) ps. Hi Vanessa! we all miss and love you :)
ReplyDeleteNo post again! I'm going through withdrawals! I hope things are good and all are doing well. Lots of hugs to you today BF.
ReplyDeleteMiss you and love you. xoxoxo
Wow! Sounds like you guys had an awesome day. I'll bet everyone slept really well last night. The whales sound like they were just amazing. I can't wait to see the video and pictures also. Hope no one got sunburnt. So great to enjoy God's beautiful earth and children all in one sunny day :-) God Bless you all. Keep up the great work. You are all in our prayers for a safe and joyous trip!
ReplyDeleteLove, Rose
P.S. Kristina maybe we can KCC Summer Nights on Wednesday July 14 to hear all about your trip and see your very tan face ! :-)
Wow steve that day sounded like it was right up your alley. u did share with your team that you are a maniac and hike thru the desert every year with 60 boy scouts and that you are in charge of all the "High Adventure" activities. Sandy you are an trooper and God Bless you both, Love Jean
ReplyDeleteTo: Isabel and Shaun
ReplyDeleteHey! Hope all is well! We love and miss y'all! God Bless =)
-Miranda Family